Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Kevin Heaton- Two Poems

Holy Spirit


Lute fruit–
              ‘Ode To Joy.’
Psalm.

Sublime elegance.

Pastoral meditation
borne on wings
of threatened
sanctity.
                         Peace.

Thornless rose.

Honeysuckle scented
summer breeze.

Invisible sonnet.

Serenade
of
          grateful praise.




Back to Gethsemane


And I’ll return to the hill
where his shadow tarries.

Where nettles bled their mark,
but worth did not diminish.

Where solace moats me; sovereign,
and peace recalls it’s namesake.

And I’ll abide there with his spirit,
in the garden where he prayed.


First published in Phlox Share, 2012



Kevin Heaton writes in South Carolina. His work has appeared in a number of publications including: Raleigh Review, Mason's Road, Foundling Review, Amethyst Arsenic, and Amarillo Bay. His fourth chapbook of poetry, Chronicles, was published by Finishing Line Press in 2012 . He is a Pushcart, and Best of the Net nominee.

2 comments:

  1. The Holy Spirit is sometimes a vague figure to me, but through this poem, I am able to smell Him, to sense Him, and to understand how to recognize Him in different ways in my life. Thank you for making the spirit tangible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading "Back to Gethsemane" I find myself pondering the phrase... "where solace moats me" and relishing the fact that I under grace get to experience the peace that comes from Christ's suffering. I too will never let that moment diminish to where there is no longer value in the Garden. Thank you for reminding me that I should take time to reflect on each aspect of His gift not just the time on the cross.

    ReplyDelete